In accordance with the Citizenship Act of 2002 (Act 591),Ghanaians who have acquired US Citizenship, are eligible to apply for dual citizenship.
Applicants are required to complete a Dual Nationality Application Form at a cost of $250. The Form has to be fully completed before submission to the Embassy and onward transmission to the Ministry of Interior in Accra.
A completed application is to be accompanied by:
- A photocopy of your U.S.A Naturalization Certificate/U.S passport
- Six passport size photographs
- Evidence of Ghanaian Nationality (Parent’s nationality – photocopy of passport or Birth Certificate / Birth certificate / Voter’s ID card / Ghanaian Passport)
- Contact telephone numbers
- Names and address of two relatives residing in Ghana
- Photocopy of the receipt issued when the application form was purchased
Application forms can be obtained from the Embassy in Washington D.C., and the Ghana’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York.
Prospective applicants who live outside the locations indicated above and wish to purchase the form can send money order of $250.00 per form to the Embassy with a note requesting for the Dual Nationality Application Form. Include a self address and traceable return envelope.
On acquiring the dual citizenship, a holder will be entitled to apply for Ghanaian passport in addition to their US passport.
A holder of dual citizenship will be permitted to remain in Ghana without limitation if the person entered the country on a Ghana passport.
It is an offence however, for a dual citizenship holder to use two passports interchangeably to deceive an immigration officer.
Money order, Cashier’s check or Certified bank check made payable to the Embassy of Ghana.
Note: Personal and company checks are not accepted.
Cash payments: Please do not mail cash.
NOTE: Fees for Dual Citizenship processing are non-refundable